In this blog, JO ANN Schneider Farris, shares tips, tricks, and everything she knows about inline skating.

About JO ANN Schneider Farris

My photo
United States
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

About.com Figure Skating Headlines

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Downhill Inline Skating — Yikes!

George Merkert - Downhill Inline Skating ChampionA few years ago, I got this "not so bright" idea. I decided to take the gondola to the top of Vail Mountain in Colorado (during the summer) and inline skate down! Well....you guessed it....what I tried to do was NOT a successful venture and I somehow climbed back up the mountain (with my skates on). I was exhausted and discouraged; I took the gondola back down to the bottom of the mountain. All was not lost, since I spent the rest of the afternoon happily skating on the flat bike paths around Vail Village.

My attempt at downhill inline skating was not successful, but some people do succeed at downhill inline skating. Movie producer, George Merkert is over fifty years old. He was the first U.S. National Downhill Inline Skating Champion. He says that inline downhill skating is like a cross between alpine downhill ski racing and NASCAR racing!



JO ANN Schneider Farris

Happy Skating!

From JO ANN Schneider Farris - About.com Figure Skating Guide








George Merkert - Downhill Inline Skating Champion, Photo Copyright © Get Rolling

No comments: